Residential remodeling has become an essential part of the construction industry. Remodelers add living space to existing homes and retrofit homes to modern conveniences and updated building codes. Remodeling can be done not only for cosmetic purposes but also for structural reasons, as well as to increase the energy efficiency of older homes.
Jobs available in the residential remodeling field include but are not limited to carpenters; painters; drywall and ceiling tile installers; roofers; woodworkers; kitchen and bath remodelers; siding, roofing, and aluminum installers; and flooring specialists.
Upon graduation, students of the Residential Remodeling program will have a number of different opportunities available. In addition to working in their field, graduates will also have the chance to continue their education in areas such as project management, technical education, residential designer, civil engineering, and structural engineering degrees. Advanced opportunities as crew leaders, supervisors, assistant supervisors, superintendents
A graduate of this program will be able to do the following:
- Understand the history of residential buildings in the 20th and 21st centuries.
- Demonstrate basic carpentry woodworking skills.
- Demonstrate successful use of basic and advanced tools of the profession.
- Read blueprints to lay out projects necessary to complete tasks.
- Calculate material quantities and estimate time allowances for projects using mathematical skills required in the profession.
- Apply remodeling skills necessary for
interior, exterior, kitchen, and bathroom projects.
- Operate masonry tools and equipment safely and effectively.
- Complete basic masonry repairs.
- Identify and rectify basic plumbing problems in an existing dwelling.
- Troubleshoot basic electrical circuits found in a dwelling.
- Practice safety in the lab and on-site environments.
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic and the ability to work both independently and as a contributing member of a team.
- Stay current with any new technology or codes related to remodeling.
|Residential Remodeling Employers|