Water & Environmental Technology
The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection requires that operators of drinking water and wastewater treatment facilities are certified. Certification is obtained through a combination of exams and operating systems. The completion of an approved associate degree program significantly reduces the number of years of operating experience required for certification. Students in the Water and Environmental Technology program gain the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for successful completion of
Courses in the Water and Environmental Technology program are designed to meet the knowledge, skills, and ability requirements tested on the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection certification exams. This will include courses covering topics such as water and wastewater treatment; water distribution and wastewater conveyance systems; geographical information systems (GIS); equipment maintenance; solids handling; basic electricity; plant administration; and rules and regulations.
A graduate of this program will be able to do the following:
- Describe the major processes, equipment, instrumentation, laws, and regulations associated with the collection and treatment of wastewater.
- Describe the major processes, equipment, instrumentation, laws, and regulations associated with the conveyance and treatment of potable water.
- Perform water and wastewater calculations involving flow, volume, surface area, disinfection, solids removal, retention time, and chemical feed rates.
- Analyze and improve operational
- Procedures at water treatment and wastewater treatment facilities.
- Prepare, analyze, interpret, and report results of water and wastewater sample testing.
- Maintain a safe working environment as outlined by federal and state regulations.
- Describe the Safe Water Drinking Act and its implementation.
- Identify and describe the common diseases associated with water supply and sewage.
- Demonstrate the monitoring duties of water treatment operators.
- Describe the areas of safety to be considered in water treatment, storage, and laboratory testing.
- Describe the operation, components, and troubleshooting procedures for motors and electrical circuits.
- Determine and employ optimization strategies for water treatment and wastewater treatment processes and treatment facilities.
|Water & Environmental Employers||JOB & SALARY OUTLOOK|