Computer Network & Systems Administration Required Skills/Job & Salary Outlook
Analyze, test, troubleshoot, and evaluate existing network systems, such as local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), and Internet systems or a segment of a network system. Perform network maintenance to ensure networks operate correctly with minimal interruption.
- Analyze network data to determine network usage, disk space availability, or server function.
- Configure and define parameters for installation or testing of local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), hubs, routers, switches, controllers, multiplexers, or related networking equipment.
- Configure security settings or access permissions for groups or individuals.
- Configure wide area network (WAN) or local area network (LAN) routers or related equipment.
- Document network support activities.
- Evaluate local area network (LAN) or wide area network (WAN) performance data to ensure sufficient availability or speed, to identify network problems, or for disaster recovery purposes.
- Identify the causes of networking problems, using diagnostic testing software and equipment.
- Install and configure wireless networking equipment.
- Install network software, including security or firewall software.
- Install new hardware or software systems or components, ensuring integration with existing network systems.
TOOLS USED IN THIS OCCUPATION
- Circuit tester - Continuity testers; Test lights
- Computer servers - Caching engines; Network address translation NAT appliances
- Facsimile machines - Fax machines
- Network analyzers - Asynchronous transfer mode ATM analyzers; Port analyzer adapters; Synchronous optical network SONET analyzers; Throughput testers
- Photocopiers - Copy machines
TECHNOLOGY USED IN THIS OCCUPATION
- Administration software - Cisco Systems CiscoWorks; ifconfig *; ipconfig *; SolarWinds software
- Backup or archival software - EMC NetWorker; NovaStor NovaBACKUP; Roxio Retrospect; Tape backup system software
- Network monitoring software - Dartware InterMapper; Ethereal *; WildPackets OmniPeek Network Analyzer; Wireshark *
- Network security or virtual private network VPN management software - Intrusion prevention system IPS software; Network and system vulnerability assessment software; NIKSUN NetDetector; Sonicwall SonicOS Enhanced
- Operating system software - Apple Macintosh OS; Microsoft Hyper-V Server; Microsoft Windows; Microsoft Windows PowerShell
- Software developed by a government agency and/or distributed as freeware or shareware.
- This occupation may require a background in the following science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) educational disciplines:
- Computer Science - Computer and Information Sciences, General; Computer and Information Systems Security; Computer Systems Analysis/Analyst; Computer Systems Networking and Telecommunications
- Achievement - Occupations that satisfy this work value are results oriented and allow employees to use their strongest abilities, giving them a feeling of accomplishment. Corresponding needs are Ability Utilization and Achievement.
- Support - Occupations that satisfy this work value offer supportive management that stands behind employees. Corresponding needs are Company Policies, Supervision: Human Relations and Supervision: Technical.
- Working Conditions - Occupations that satisfy this work value offer job security and good working conditions. Corresponding needs are Activity, Compensation, Independence, Security, Variety and Working Conditions.
STATE AND NATIONAL WAGES & EMPLOYMENT TRENDS
|Computer Support Specialists||607,100||717,100||+18%||26,950|
1Job Openings refers to the average annual job openings due to growth and net replacement.
Note: The data for the State Employment Trends and the National Employment Trends are not directly comparable. The projections period for state data is 2008-2018, while the projections period for national data is 2010-2020.
Information provided by CareerOneStop, sponsored by the U. S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration