Engineering CAD Technology
The Engineering Computer-Aided Drafting (ECAD) Technology program prepares graduates for positions as entry-level CAD operators in a wide range of manufacturing and engineering industries. Skills acquired from this program of study will allow students to become an integral part of product design and the manufacturing of those products. Graduates will apply specialized knowledge and skills utilizing state-of-the-art CAD software to think critically, to solve problems, and to effectively communicate with colleagues and supervisors in today’s ever-changing work environment.
From preliminary drawings and sketches, to parametric design, to animated assemblies, graduates will learn how to simplify, enhance and streamline the manufacturing and engineering processes utilizing CAD. Students acquire comprehensive skills in the following technical areas: fundamentals of drafting, technical drawing, process pipe drafting, processes of manufacturing, geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T), metals fabrication drafting, and power transmission. Students’ CAD skills are developed with a comprehensive exposure to the latest software releases of AutoCAD®, Autodesk Inventor®, SolidWorks®, and Pro/Engineer®.
Upon completion of the program, graduates will find various employment opportunities in the following fields:
- CAD operator
- Cost estimator
- Drafting manager
- Drafting supervisor
- Mechanical detailer
A graduate of this program will be able to do the following:
- Produce working drawings such as detail, subassembly, and full-assembly drawings utilizing manual, freehand, and computer-aided drafting techniques.
- Recognize and apply the ASME Y14.5 guidelines in the creation of mechanical working drawings.
- Apply industrial standards to the creation of working drawings of sheet-metal components, welded assemblies, electronics drafting, piping systems, and power transmission components.
- Identify and understand basic manufacturing processes as they relate to the dimensioning of working drawings.
- Demonstrate an ability to work independently and to apply interpersonal and technical skills to solve problems as a member of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Demonstrate skills and proficiency in multiple 2D and 3D solid modeling CAD software packages.