Masonry Construction Certificate
The Masonry Construction certificate provides the opportunity to develop the basic skills of a mason and is designed as an introduction to the trade. Students will focus on basic tool skills, trade materials, safety procedures and terminology. Emphasis is placed on brick and block skill sets. These skills are developed through hands-on projects, which are preceded by theory lectures and demonstrations. Special emphasis is placed on the appreciation of the beauty and permanence of brickwork and on the development of pride in workmanship.
Students successfully completing the Masonry Construction certificate program find employment in the field as mason tenders and masons with experience and further education as forepersons or superintendents. Many masons are self-employed.
All students completing the certificate program may enroll in the associate degree program.
A graduate of this program will be able to do the following:
- Operate masonry tools and equipment safely and effectively.
- Use masonry terminology.
- Read blueprints to estimate materials quantity and pricing.
- Lay out and construct footings.
- Lay out and build a block foundation.
- Apply brick veneering to a structure.
- Construct a masonry arch.